Going back in time, however – by 1942 the situation had become very
difficult as there was virtually no one available to keep the club open
regularly and conduct it properly. The council, therefore, took the step
of appointing Mr Bracey, late of Christ Church United Clubs, as fulltime
organiser for a six months period, with the object of making more
permanent arrangements in that time. It was then decided to
concentrate entirely on the boys’ club for the period of the war and the
whole building was made available to them. Later in 1942 Mr Norman
Freeman was appointed as full time leader and the club was added to
the list of those eligible for an annual grant from the L.C.C towards
salaries and maintenance.