With this support, together with the proceeds of sale of the old Lambeth
Walk premises and other grants and donations, it was possible to go
forward with work which was fortunately started in a short period of
1949 when licences were available for this type of building
construction.

It was actually necessary to start work some weeks before the freehold
was transferred. The North block was put in order first and this was
occupied in September 1950 when the old club closed down. Building
on the South block and the intermediate part was very such more
complicated, involving a lot of new work, including the insertion of a
new floor supported by steel work to carry the gymnasium.